Princess Margaret Road, East Tilbury, Tilbury, Essex, RM18 8PB.
Constructed between 1861 and 1874, the Coalhouse Fort was built to defend the Thames from a potential invasion by France, and was used as a battery in both world wars.
The Coalhouse Fort Project was set up in 1983 and the fort has been undergoing continuing refurbishment, and the Coalhouse Fort had a number of open days during the summer and ran special events throughout the year. In 2020 the project wound itself down and the volunteers handed the fort over to Thurrock Council. This transfer, and COVID means the immediate future in terms of open days etc. is unclear.
ESSEX DAYS OUT TIP : Whilst we don’t have many castles in Essex, this is one of many fortifications along the Essex coast – there’s also Hadleigh Castle, Tilbury Fort, Jaywick Martello Tower, and the Harwich Redoubt.