Walking tours and coach tours with Josie Watson.
I qualified as a Colchester Blue Badge Guide in 1998.
Since then I’ve led many tours in Colchester and across North Essex and South Suffolk for many different groups.
I enjoy leading walks for groups of friends, family groups and work colleagues.
I am very happy to lead walks for school groups and interest groups, such the WEA, the U3A and the WI. (And any other group with an acronym that you can think of!)
I have led many Roman Colchester and Siege of Colchester walks for Key Stage 2 children.
For Year 13 students, I have led my Manningtree and Mistley Witchfinder General Tour. I have also led this tour for students from Wakes Forest University in North Carolina. Each time I have made sure that the walk suits the interests of the group.
I am very happy to create bespoke tours for groups. For example for a U3A architecture group I have led a number of architecture tours, such as “Converted Buildings of Colchester” “The Art-Deco Buildings of Frinton” and “Harwich Through it’s Buildings”.
Further down this page are details of ways in which I support organised coach trips.
Walking tours I can offer:
- Colchester – ‘From Camulodunum to Colchester’ : 2,000 years of history
- Colchester – ‘Hidden Gems’ : away from the town centre, along the River Colne, past Bourne Mill and back into town past the Roman Circus and St. John’s Abbey
- Colchester – ‘The Essex Serpent‘ : how the town has appeared in literature.
- Colchester – a range of other themed walks of Colchester uncovering stories from the towns fascinating history, including the Roman Period, the Siege of Colchester, and Victorian Colchester.
- Sudbury – a fascinating Suffolk market town
- Lavenham – beautiful timber-framed buildings and a glorious wool church
- Long Melford – a town whose buildings and church display the wealth and power of the wool trade
- Dedham – a delightful village on the Essex-Suffolk border, famed for it’s connections to John Constable
- Manningtree and Mistley – explore the villages, and walk by the beautiful River Stour to uncover the terrible tale of Matthew Hopkins, the notorious Witchfinder General
- Clacton – walk along the seafront and discover the story of this traditional seaside town
- Frinton – learn about this upmarket resort frequented by celebrities, with art deco houses and a lovely sweeping greensward
- Maldon – starting with the Battle of Maldon in AD991 through it’s more recent history tied in to the Blackwater and the estuary
- Thaxted – explore this fascinating village, with its Guildhall, majestic church, links to Gustav Holst and rolling Essex countryside
- Clare – a wool town in the heart of the Suffolk countryside. There are merchant houses, a “wool church” Clare Priory and beautiful countryside to explore
For groups, coach operators and Group Tour Operators: I am also available to act as your guide on coach trips across the region. I regularly guide on coach tours of:
- Constable Country – Dedham, East Bergholt and Flatford
- Suffolk towns and villages, including Sudbury, Lavenham, Long Melford, Clare, Cavendish and Bury St. Edmunds to suit your group
- Colchester to Manningtree and Mistley, discovering the terrible tale of the notorious Matthew Hopkins the Witchfinder General
- Clacton and the Sunshine Coast, exploring the hidden villages, the Naze at Walton, and Clacton, the most traditional of seaside towns
- Colchester-drive-thru tour: discover the 2,000 year history of the town from the comfort of your coach