Walking tours and coach tours with Josie Watson.
I am a qualified and experienced Blue Badge Guide, and regularly lead walking tours for the Colchester Visitor Information Centre, and in Dedham and Lavenham. I am available for privately booked walking tours in towns and villages across Essex and South Suffolk.
I can cater for groups of friends, family, work colleagues, children’s and adult organisations with a tour designed to meet your individual needs and interests. For school parties, the walks can be tailored to meet the areas covered in the new Key Stage 1, 2 and 3 History Curriculum.
Walking tours I can offer:
- Colchester – ‘From Camulodunum to Colchester’ : 2,000 years of history
- Colchester – ‘Hidden Gems’ : away from the town centre, along the River Colne, past Bourne Mill and back into town past the Roman Circus and St. John’s Abbey
- Colchester – ‘Love Life and Loss’ : how the Great War affected the town and people of Colchester
- Colchester – ‘The Essex Serpent‘ : how the town has appeared in literature.
- Colchester – a range of other themed walks of Colchester uncovering stories from the towns fascinating history, including the Roman Period, the Siege of Colchester, Victorian times, Colchester and the First World War, and The Home Front in Colchester: 1939-1945
- Sudbury – a fascinating Suffolk market town
- Lavenham – beautiful timber-framed buildings and a glorious wool church
- Long Melford – a town whose buildings and church display the wealth and power of the wool trade
- Dedham – a delightful village on the Essex-Suffolk border, famed for it’s connections to John Constable
- Manningtree and Mistley – explore the villages, and walk by the beautiful River Stour to uncover the terrible tale of Matthew Hopkins, the notorious Witchfinder General
- Clacton – walk along the seafront and discover the story of this traditional seaside town
- Frinton – learn about this upmarket resort frequented by celebrities, with art deco houses and a lovely sweeping greensward
- Maldon – starting with the Battle of Maldon in AD991 through it’s more recent history tied in to the Blackwater and the estuary
For groups, coach operators and Group Tour Operators: I am also available to act as your guide on coach trips across the region, and I regularly guided on coach tours of:
- Constable Country – Dedham, East Bergholt and Flatford
- Suffolk towns and villages, including Sudbury, Lavenham, Long Melford, Clare, Cavendish and Bury St. Edmunds to suit your group
- Colchester to Manningtree and Mistley, discovering the terrible tale of the notorious Matthew Hopkins the Witchfinder General
- Clacton and the Sunshine Coast, exploring the hidden villages, the Naze at Walton, and Clacton, the most traditional of seaside towns
- Colchester-drive-thru tour: discover the 2,000 year history of the town from the comfort of your coach
If you wish to share details of these tours with friends or members of groups or organisations you belong to, please click here to download a PDF leaflet outlining details of my tours.