Stow Maries Aerodrome opened its doors to commemorate Armed Forces today. The weather was beautiful, and lured by free entrance, aerobatic displays, and a Spitfire flypast, people turned up in their hundreds (scroll down for pictures).
The aerodrome is located south of Maldon, near Woodham Mortimer, and it was set up in 1916 to counter the threat from Zeppelin and bomber attacks on London and Essex during the First World War. It returned to agricultural use, but since 2008 a number of volunteers have been working hard so save and renovate it. The aerodrome buildings achieved listed building status as the most complete WWI aerodrome, and several grants, including a £1.5m one from central government in 2015, bode well for it’s future.
Several buildings have been renovated and are staged to look like they would have done a century ago, with a lot of information boards to help the visitor understand the role of the aerodrome and it’s pilots. Today there were a variety of old biplanes to admire, and some took to the air, including an aerobatics team which pre-dates the Red Arrows. And the open day closed with a Spitfire flying low across the aerodrome a few times, and the final fly-bay, with the wings tipping from side to side as a farewell, was quite touching!
More about Stow Maries aerodrome at their website.